3.5 inch LCD with 320x240 pixels; 4:3 aspect ratio is ideal for retro gaming

Operating system:
Linux 3.x (OpenDingux)
Memory:
512 MB DDR2
Internal storage:
16 GB, most of which is available for applications and data
External storage:
micro SDHC up to 32 GB or micro SDXC of 64 GB (SDXC cards must be reformatted before use)
Connectivity:
Mini USB 2.0 OTG
Mini HDMI 1.3 out
3.5 mm (mini jack) A/V port for earphone and analog TV-out
Audio:
Stereo speakers, mono microphone
Other:
Accelerometer (g-sensor) and vibration motors
Wireless:
Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n 2.4 GHz, can connect to access point or direct device-to-device
Dimensions:
143 * 70 * 18 mm
Weight:
8 oz / 225 g
Battery:
2800 mAh

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS AND REVIEW
(updates to be added sporadically)
Alright! So I promised zear some feedback, and here's where it's going to be.
Hardware
First I want to talk about the hardware, because this is the part that can't be changed. The software is going to be improved with time, but the hardware you get is what comes in the box. Luckily, everything looks quite solid. Build quality is excellent, and it looks like it will hold up quite well over the years.
The design is EXTREMELY reminiscent of earlier handhelds like the GP2X, and for some reason the old Sega GameGear (albeit 1/3 the size). The entire assembly is high quality plastic, and it has just enough weight that it feels substantial, not like a cheap toy. A lot of the time on devices this size the buttons can feel cramped (GP2X made it hard to properly play Mega Man X), but all the spacing on this particular handheld is very good. Everything just feels RIGHT in hand.
My only complaint on this part is that the tolerances in the controls are extremely tight. The d-pad in particular is difficult to work fluidly, and on occasion gets stuck in the down position. You can already see the rub points on the plastic, so my guess is that it will loosen up nicely after some hard use. The buttons and analog nub suffer from this as well, but once again I think it just needs some time to loosen up. If it bothered you enough and you were impatient, you could probably file down the plastic so it opened up some space. (EDIT: I guess GCW is discouraging this as it would void the warranty. If it doesn't loosen up over time, get a replacement under warranty.)
Oh, one other thing I want to mention about the d-pad: In pictures, it looks like a circle pad like the Sega Saturn and Genesis used. It is NOT, the circle is just recessed plastic, and the d-pad is classic Nintendo-style. It may or may not make much of a difference to you, but I figured I would mention it because it surprised me a little.
The screen is bright and clear! I was a little worried when I first opened up the box, because the screen almost instantly developed scratches. However, it turns out there was a second screen protector, and upon taking that off the actual plastic seems to be quite hard (although prone to fingerprints and dust).
Let me just say that it is REALLY nice to have things like TV-out built in, especially considering it has options for HDMI and regular old component cables. I didn't test it, and if I recall correctly it's not ready yet anyways.
What else... Volume gets plenty loud. I wish there were physical volume controls, but the solution that was used isn't horrible, just confusing until you figure it out. I'm a bit of an audiophile, but I haven't listened to any music with my headphones yet (will DEFINITELY update on this at some point). I also wish USB was detected as a simple mass storage device as opposed to this goofy thing with FTP. Maybe there's some legitimate reason for it, but to the simple user the simplest solution would have been preferred. There's nothing super unusual other than what I mentioned; it's a well built device.
Software
The OS is very light and responsive! Boot up time is FAST, especially comparing it to my old GP2X; I'd say about a second or two and it's ready. GMenu2X is a fairly simple solution to use for the GUI, and for a device like this it works rather well. I'll definitely be attempting to recreate the old Windows 3.1 theme that's on my GP2X. It would be nice to have a clock somewhere on the top or bottom, but I guess it's not so crucial since you won't be spending a whole lot of time lounging on this screen.
The included games are (for the most part) RUTHLESS. No hand-holding smartphone games here! For the most part everything plays quite well, it's just hard. Some people will like this, some people might wish for a more easygoing experience. I have to say my favorite so far is the preview of Unnamed Monkey Game. Do yourself a favor and download Cave Story, especially if you've never played it. In my opinion one of the greatest "indie" games ever made, and before indie was really a thing.
I did download some emulators already, and they definitely need some polish. PicoDrive (Genesis/Sega CD) is in good shape already (aside from some screen tearing in stretched mode), but I couldn't find the scaling options in PocketSNES, and gpSP (GBA) wouldn't even run (trying to play Yu-Gi-Oh! Worldwide Edition). Expect lots of progress on these as time goes on. PSX isn't ready yet I guess, and N64 is still a thought in someone's mind. For some reason higher quality audio wasn't working through the speakers... I'm hoping this is just a software issue, or at least that it will work through the headphone jack.
The thing I will point out here is the major drawback of the homebrew scene. Namely, the fact that there's very little consistency between apps for menus, system functions, how to exit, etc. You open up one of the emulators, and the first thing it does is ask for a ROM; you open up another, and it has a start menu, and you can hardly even FIND the ROMs. I think it would be an excellent idea if a few people got together and made a list of recommended guidelines for how different apps function, just so there isn't a learning curve every time a new one is made.
Final Initial Thoughts
There is a lot of potential here, and the past seems to indicate that a lot of that potential will be fulfilled. Devices like this seem to attract talented programmers, and that's all it needs at this point. Expect a lot of surprises going forward, and people appearing out of nowhere to release great games and emulators that no one was expecting.
All that being said, there are a couple specific things that could use some work, and will really improve the device overall.
-more consistency between apps, probably through some general programming guidelines
-general polish and final touches in things like emulators
-an informative file database somewhere online; Google Docs is okay for right this second, but something like OpenHandhelds.org would be really ideal (or even something similar on the official GCW website)
-more programmers, more apps, keep it coming!
Everything's looking good so far, and if you're still waiting it won't be much longer! Units are still shipping out as I write this, and as more people get it, many of them will have the aptitude to program for and expand the platform.
Thanks for reading, and I hope you get yours soon!

UPDATE 1!

I took some time to test the sound capabilities using GMU. My first hurdle was realizing that it didn't have support built in for mp3 since it's not a free codec. It's only a matter of time before someone else writes another player that has full codec support, and I doubt it will take long. Luckily, I did have some FLAC and OGG files to test out. I wasn't expecting too much, so I'm not terribly disappointed. Sound is actually quite good coming through the speakers, and as I said before it can get plenty loud. I tested the headphone jack with my Ultrasone Signature Pro headphones, and for the most part the sound is passable. There is plenty of volume, but there is some background hiss noticeable. johnnyonflame says he will inform the hardware people to see if this is fixable, as it might be poor isolation between the sound components and the rest of the board (which is definitely what it sounds like to me). It's also possible that it could be a software issue with GMU or even ALSA (the thing that manages all sound for the entire system). Either way, it's really not too terrible, and actually sounds pretty darned good with PicoDrive. I honestly doubt most people will notice what I did, because my ears are spoiled and I was specifically listening for it. There are some sporadic pops when going through menus as well. Considering my GP2X randomly changes the left and right ears whenever it feels like, I think this is a pretty solid platform so far.

qbertaddict was kind enough to hook me up with many of the newer versions of emulators, and I did some more testing using a couple different options. snes9x4d definitely has better scaling options than PocketSNES (read: any at all), but it struggled a bit more with transparencies, and sound is absolutely horrendous (at least in Mega Man X; every charge shot I let off sounds like a cat is dying). Put some scaling options in PocketSNES and for 99% of my games I'll be happy. PicoDrive is still extremely solid. The original author, notaz, really put some love into it, and it still shows after all these years. Maybe if we ask nicely he'll come by and polish it back up.   The new version that I received was supposed to have working VSync, but I'm definitely still getting some screen tearing. I should also note that in all of these, sound will not work properly at 44.1 khz. It's not exactly that important for chiptunes, but perhaps it's related to some of the other sound issues. I finally got gpSP working (didn't realize you needed a BIOS), but sound was crackly. Also, the scaling options are original GBA (which is in a tiny box), or fullscreen (which stretches the aspect ratio). I haven't tried anything else tonight, and I most likely won't since I have work tomorrow.

My original impression stands that the software definitely needs quite a bit of polishing yet. Someone on chat (johnnyonflame?) was saying that the sound drivers were one of those things that would need to be completely rewritten to be at 100% compatibility. Don't get me wrong, everything is WORKING to some degree, just expect some glitches and little things to persist for a while. But the good news is that it's only a matter of time until it all gets ironed out.

本帖最后由 强棒奶娃 于 2013-6-7 14:17 通过手机版编辑
附件: 您所在的用户组无法下载或查看附件

怀旧的话这部机器的确是很好了

posted by wap, platform: Android

按键的质感不错,有掌机的感觉

对于现在来说,3.5实在是太小了

引用:
原帖由 jinny 于 2013-5-18 15:51 发表
对于现在来说,3.5实在是太小了
\

玩模拟器怀旧的话不需要太大的屏幕,分辨率高了也是没用。机器太大不便携,这个GCW的形状外观跟GA330差不多吧,只是性能和软件支持要高了不少,的确是怀旧利器啊

看配置,看造型,看机能,看系统

感觉就是A320的升级再生版

posted by wap, platform: UC

按键形状非常满意,希望手感能好。。。。。

2800电池很给力,感觉hdmi没什么必要。。。。

cpu ,内存硬伤啊,模拟ps估计都吃力

话说这机器买多少钱呢,另外国内能买到么...

posted by wap, platform: UC
引用:
原帖由 @红叶  于 2013-5-18 16:29 发表
cpu ,内存硬伤啊,模拟ps估计都吃力
模拟ps没有必要,psp已经很好的完成这个工作了,这机器能模拟好sfc就已经算是不辱使命了。。。。。

HOW MUCH啊

引用:
原帖由 can201 于 2013-5-18 16:12 发表
看配置,看造型,看机能,看系统

感觉就是A320的升级再生版
本来就是因为A320的性能跟不上,才出现这个机器的啊,玩家为了玩家而生产的游戏机,这就是他们的说法。

引用:
原帖由 红叶 于 2013-5-18 16:29 发表
cpu ,内存硬伤啊,模拟ps估计都吃力
也不一定,这个跑的是OPEN-DINGUX,对硬件的要求没那么高,A320那么低的主频,32M的内存,关掉声音有些PS游戏都勉强可以玩了,这个的硬件已经好很多了。

引用:
原帖由 古兰佐 于 2013-5-18 16:34 发表
HOW MUCH啊

71 12345
发新话题

官方公众号及微博